Client Story: Oregon Department of Transportation
Oregon Department of Transportation Profile:
The Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) is a 100-year old agency that oversees planning, project selection, construction and maintenance of transportation assets for the state. In addition, it administers funding for public transit services, regulates rail and truck freight, promotes pedestrian and bicycle usage, and safety for all transportation modes.
Pivotal was selected in 2012 to support two major initiatives to transform ODOT in strategy, practice and culture:
- To launch and carry out a long-term effort to make ODOT a truly multi-modal transportation agency—now dubbed the Intermodal Oregon initiative.
- Conduct a strategic review of support functions (IT, HR, Finance, Facilities, Audit, and Procurement) to address gaps and position ODOT for its expanding mission.
Pivotal Services and Solutions:
Pivotal’s services are based on a close consulting partnership with ODOT senior leadership and on-site coaching and facilitation with team members. It involves a broad array of activities, including:
- Define and adopt a clear vision for the change, including practical improvement in work processes, tied to meaningful impact on livability, costs, and commerce.
- Development and execution of communications through a variety of media to build awareness and engagement across the 5000-person organization.
- Restructure agency governance — highlighted by formation of a new senior-level Intermodal Leadership Team—to break down barriers, promote integrated decision making and drive innovation.
- Adopt an agency-wide “Change Framework” to build a common approach to identifying and addressing intermodal opportunities and challenges.
- Prepare internal/external stakeholder plans to build support for the new vision and practices—including the Oregon Transportation Commission.
- Established leadership team and structure for Intermodal Oregon effort, detailed objectives and strategy, scoped and mapped projects.
- Creation of the Transportation Chain to ensure understanding and coordination of efforts across the organization.
- Developed a forum for effective communication, created common language for improved collaboration, building a culture of staff empowerment.
- Building internal technical and change capability to drive improvement initiatives.
Our support for ODOT has continued for over several years, with significant progress toward the agency’s culture change and performance goals—and still more to be accomplished.