There are two online exams:
- Core Skills Exam – Green Belt Level A 180 question, closed book Exam that covers the basic concepts and tools of DMAIC. This is part one of the Black Belt level online exam.
- Advanced Skills Exam – Black Belt Level A 150 question, open-book Exam tests the candidates’ statistical knowledge by using statistical software (e.g. Minitab) to solve case example questions, and demonstrate knowledge of other advanced-level DMAIC tools. Candidates will be allowed to bring their Memory Joggers and classroom training books into the room. In addition, they will need access to a computer equipped with statistical software (e.g., Minitab) and Excel in order to answer the questions.
Question Types – there are five basic types of questions on both online exams:
- Multiple Choice with Single Answer
- Multiple Choice with Multiple Answers
- Matching Questions
- Short Answer (Free Form)
- Fill in the Blanks
Project reviews are required at the Certified level only, for both Green Belt and Black Belt. Candidates will need to submit a project storyboard for the evaluator’s reference at least one week in advance. They need to be prepared to:
- Answer questions about their projects, including tools application, change management, and leadership challenges.
- Discuss their “lessons learned” through applying DMAIC.
The Oral Project Review is a 60-90 minute interview conducted by one or more Pivotal Resources evaluators with the individual candidate. In some instances, the certification process may also require interviews with the project sponsor and/or other team members of the submitted project. NOTE: As part of Project Reviews, the candidate may be asked questions about “what if” scenarios to test their comprehensive knowledge of DMAIC.
» Certified Green Belt: Candidates must have participated in a successfully completed DMAIC project as a project leader or project team member. They must have played an active role with clearly defined responsibilities and they must be able to demonstrate their understanding of DMAIC methodology through practical applications. NOTE: Multiple people can be certified for their individual participation on the same project.
» Certified Black Belt: Individual certification candidates must be able to demonstrate their skill in applying DMAIC methodologies to practical business issues to achieve results. Therefore, they must have successfully led at least one project in which they have applied the DMAIC methodology. At a minimum, project must show that the candidates are able to achieve a statistically significant improvement in the primary metric. NOTE: Candidates applying for Black Belt Certification DO NOT need to take the Green Belt Certification Project Review.
- Projects submitted for the project review must be “closed,” which means in Control and successfully transitioned to the Process Owner.
- Submitted projects are not required to use every data analysis tool. However, the project must demonstrate data-based decision-making through each of the five phases of DMAIC
- Projects must demonstrate significant improvement in the primary metric, from the original baseline measure taken in the Measure phase, to the improved measures taken in the Control phase.
- A project storyboard should be used for presenting a project. The storyboard will highlight key elements of the project, using formats similar to those presented in the training material.
- At the Project Review, evaluators may ask questions about the projects in order to clarify the candidate’s information, or to probe for the candidate’s depth of understanding and application of DMAIC methods and tools.